Sunday, May 20, 2007

That Mitchell and Webb weekend

Hello Friends, if you don't like them Mitchell and Webbs comedians, this might not be the most intersting of blog entries for you lucky people. This weekend I have been mostly binging on the Webb and Mitchell, so much so they're probably seared on my retinas.

Well Friday afternoon after my exam I quickly flew away to foggy old London town (although I'm not superman so went by train to London). I'm not really sure what to write of the evening, when Cheryl and Dan have done a good job on hinting but not saying much. It was a warm up night of some of the average unsure about material for the TV series That Mitchell and Webb Look. It was alright, some solid stuff, 'No one pisses in Star Wars' is the only quote I can really remember of the night, which say something of my star wars addiction, although there was a good Numberwang sketch which nicely diverted from the normal. There was a magic table that bizarelley assited Rob and David in the first half (which seemed to be only there for Rob to mime to put a bullclip down either that or it's David's lucky table) and there was their producer Gareth Edwards once again making me go into a giggly state through sheer Richard Madelyisms (if the rumours are true and Judy is wanting to quit TV, Richard could do a lot worse than working with Gareth Edwards). So Yes, it was some solid comedy stuff, and will be most intersting to see how some of them are done on that flashing telly box thing.

Saturday I saw the magicans film with the Cheryl fan person. It was alright, I really can't think of anything bad say about it, it was well cast (nice to see Jessica Stevenson on the screen again) with Rob and David being good in their roles and the 'Oh look it's her/him from Peep Show', the film managed to crack up a bit of tension at the conclusion, it was generally a nice film, but (here's the but) it just wasn't really that funny sadly. Bit Cliched, bit bland, bit of alright, it was just well... fine. In a word, it was well alright.

Just not comparable to Peep Show, talking of that, the series conclusion had made me realise just how dark, bleak and full of self loathing the show can be. It was definetly one of the strongest episodes of the series, of a series that whilst not being as good as the previous three, is definetly funnier than any other show on TV at the moment. What with all the set of Sophie up as a lovely person, it was just painful to watch at times. It ended as nicely as you could want from had transpired, it was funny, you could tell Robert and David were enjoying their parts, it was dark, fucking dark.

And there is my Mitchell and Webb obsessed post, did I mention I like Mitchell and Webb?

11 comments:

Mimey said...

Was it out of character for Sophie to have not noticed Mark's reluctance? It was put to me that she wouldn't have let it get that far before pulling the plug on the sham.

I'm not saying I think this, just thought such a wonderful episode deserved a bit of intelligent debate.

I thought the altar weeping was one of the most perfect moments of televisual delight I've ever seen.

I can't comment on the rest of your post. I obviously don't love M & W enough.

Chezza said...

i thought you were talking about lucas and walliams!

DanProject76 said...

Mitchum and who?

Ant said...

I've just watched MAgicians and thought it was quite good - I laughed in quite a few places. I think they gave too much away in the adverts and it could've been loads better. I also agree with all the Peep Show stuff - the series wasn't quite as good but had it's genius moments.

Clive_Evil_C said...

Jemima - I don't know, I was thinking she would have called an end to the weding during the last episode, I was suprised it was drawn out so much. But the a few of the characters have seemed to act a bit out of character, in particular the second episode and Johnson, Jermemy and Big Suz, that episode annoyed me the most, they seemed quite a bit out of character. Intelligent debate is good! If I can do that.

Chezza - I was. Wasn't I?

Dan - Dunno, you might like them.

Ant - As with all comedy film trailers, they seem to give the best gags away in the trailer. It did have a few laughs, maybe in my critism I didn't quite stress that I did find it funny, just not loud laughs like watching Peep Show.

Mimey said...

Like: How come there were no consequences to Mark's 'i'm running away' freakout?

DanProject76 said...

I shall make notes on your opinions and ask the next time I embarrass myself in front of them.

Clive_Evil_C said...

Jemima has a point. How come Mark still has a job at JLB? Or we assume he does. Gah!

I'll leave Dan to embaras himself with these concerns, we'll compile a list and let Dan go off on one.

DanProject76 said...

My opinion of all the out of character moments and plot holes:

"Jizz cocks!"

DanProject76 said...

I didn't really care about Magicians and was a bit bored in the cinema! I didn't laugh at any of it (I smiled at the first 'a bit less jizz' line) and didn't really care what happened to any of the characters.

I shall be struck off as official fan now! Bah!

Clive_Evil_C said...

Dan, bah, of course you won't. It was as you said on your blog, basically fine, bit of shame you didn't laugh at any of it, there was some funny stuff, just not that funny.

But the a friend of mine said he didn't like Look but he thought Magicans was good. Bloody people with their different opinions.