Sunday, April 22, 2007

Political satire in pop music!

Back in February I told you about big history fans Girls Aloud and the Sugababes and their homage to the Berlin Wall in the video for Walk this way (which was for charity, charity fans). Well today I'm going to tell you about how Beyonce and Shakira, two ladies who aren't from the United Kingdom, are infact massive fans of British politics. And why wouldn't they be exactly? Here is popular singer Shakira, her hips don't lie, but that's not important right now. In this video she plays Anthony Charles Lynton Blair, Mr. Tony Blair. Yes a little suspension of disbelief is required. Tony doesn't wear dresses!Here is the bit more popular singer Beyonce (she's been in films apparently), in this video she plays David William Donald Cameron, Mr. David Cameron, again suspension of disbelief is required, after all neither Dave nor Tony have lady lumps (although let's not rule out some moobs). Anyway in the video, Shakria and Beyonce, or Tony and David, battle in a series of different locales to show their different policy agreements.Now personally I don't really know what political disagreements the two men (played by ladies in the video, remember) have, the video deliberatly keeps it vague, they might be disagreeing on kittens V puppies, controlled imigration and the opposite to that (unlimited imigration?), being interviewed by Catherine 'bovvered' Tate or being interviewed by Johnathon Ross, the point is they disagree, but their only minor disagreements, because the locales are minute in their differences, that's why they don't appear in the same shot until the final verse.But here's the political satire folks, David Cameron? Tony Blair? I can't tell the difference, they're both as bland as bland. The New Statesman has unfavourably likened Cameron's "new style of politics" to Tony Blair's early leadership years (I can read the wikkipedia folks). They're just the same, like how Shakira and Beyone look in the video, I can't tell them apart. I thought it would be impossible for the conservatives and labour to be alike, like Beyonce and Shakira looking a like, but look, they do! They ruddy do!Look, I can't tell them apart. Shakira and Beyonce are political satire gods! They should write for private eye.

6 comments:

Chezza said...

Thats too good to be true. I demand more things like this in the future

DanProject76 said...

And they're both pointless c***s.

Mimey said...

I had the good fortune of seeing this 'video' a couple of weeks ago on the 'telly' and was confounded and bemused by the likeness of the two ladies and their wiggling hips. My emo (aka dearly beloved daughter) was quite scornful. Even from her chav baiting, pop hating side of the tracks it was obvious to her which witch was which. Which made me feel a tad old. And out of the 'loop'.

So I'm glad you've explained the political dimension, politics I understand. They're supposed to be hard to tell apart. The emo was probably lying to me. Show off.

Normal people don't use comments boxes to tell their life story, do they?

Clive_Evil_C said...

Chezza - Demand? So what happens if i don't meet your demands? I'm scared!

Dan - Shakira and Beyonce? Pointless Cunts? Oh that can't be.

Jemima - Normal people might not, but I don't want normal people commenting on my blog ;)

Yes the emo missed the political subtext, but they do look a like, it may have nothing to do with the subtext, but just to confuse people.

orange anubis said...

Hah, brilliant!

(I can tell them apart, Shakira's breasts are humbler)

Clive_Evil_C said...

Though I do confuse Beyonce's with mountains.